Re: [External] : Emacs object type hierarchy

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [External] : Emacs object type hierarchy
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 04:39:16 -0400

Hello Richard,

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Yes, it would be good to have the Elisp type hierarchy
>   > spelled out.  This is what the Common Lisp doc says
>   > about its hierarchy, FWIW:
>
> Have we ever defined such a hierarchy for Emacs Lisp?
> (I don't think so.)

I'm not the best one to answer this but I think as well was never
explicitly defined, OTOH traces of it are in many places of our
codebase.

> If not, do we want to?

I think so, documenting it would be good.

> What would would that involve?

Essentially just making it explicit in our documentation.

> And would having such a defined hierarchy tend to lead us to think we
> need to do other work -- work which, arguably, we don't really need to
> do?

I don't think so, OTOH new code could make use of it easily and reliably
instead of having to reverse engineer the current implementation.

Best Regards

  Andrea