Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:37:36 +0530

[செவ்வாய் அக்டோபர் 24, 2023] Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> AFAIK, this is already true for `, see isearch-fold-quotes-mode.
>
> Thanks, I didn't know that variable.  It should be enabled by default in
> Info mode, and perhaps Help mode too.

It is enabled from Emacs 29 apparently:

    ** Isearch in "*Help*" and "*info*" now char-folds quote characters by
default.
    This means that you can say 'C-s `foo' (GRAVE ACCENT) if the buffer
    contains "‘foo" (LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK) and the like.  These
    quotation characters look somewhat similar in some fonts.  To switch
    this off, disable the new 'isearch-fold-quotes-mode' minor mode.

BTW, I forgot to mention this in my original message but there are cases
when the replacement of `' to their curly equivalent makes the text much
easier to read.  One particular case I can think of is:

   • Otherwise, if the command string contains ‘?’ surrounded by
     whitespace or ‘`?`’, Emacs runs the shell command once _for each
     file_, substituting the current file name for ‘?’ and ‘`?`’ each
     time.  You can use both ‘?’ and ‘`?`’ more than once in the
     command; the same file name replaces each occurrence.  If you mix
     them with ‘*’ the command signals an error.

in (info "(emacs) Shell Commands in Dired").  Although `?` is
highlighted here, the curly quotes make it easier to read IMO.  The same
with the docstring of dired-do-shell-command where no such highlighting
exists.