Re: Native compilation on as default?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:50:17 -0400

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> 29.2 pretest out reminded me I promised to ping this thread so here I'm
>>> :)
>>
>> Stefan, what is your opinion on this?
>
> I see no reason not to enable native-comp by default in Emacs 30.1.
>
> We have had it as an optional for a full major release already, and it
> is enabled by default in several major GNU/Linux distributions.  Some of
> us have been using it for a full year or more before that.  It seems
> stable enough.
>
> I think we should take the chance to also change the default of
> 'native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors' to nil.  It is much too
> intrusive for general use, and effectively duplicates the warnings users
> already see during package installation.

Thinking about this...  IME *the* warning we are interested in from the
async compilation is the:

"the function ‘xxx’ is not known to be defined."

This because typically xxx is not a function but a macro and is unknown
due to a missing require, the file end-up misscompiled and not
functional.

So I think we could have a new mode, still controlled by
native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors, that filters out all the
uninteresting warnings (that the programmer already got during byte
compilation) but still report this important one.

So even if the package developer doesn't use native compilation it can
get the bug report for the issue.

I suspect this might be a good compromise/solution.

WDYT?

  Andrea