Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:55:45 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 22:27:54 -0400
>
>   > The only difference I see is that new version is harder to read, and
>   > more prone to bugs (as you have to write the same code twice).
>
> Do you frequently use the cl- facilities such as `cl-pushnew'?  If so,
> that might explain why you didn't _see_ the extra complexity that
> comes from calling `cl-pushnew'.  That extra complexity exists for
> people who don't habitually use cl facilities, and not for those who
> do habitually use them.

I think the need to be familiar with the cl-lib and cl-macs
functionalities is nowadays a requirement for any Emacs maintainer.
It can take time to familiarize oneself with them, but it isn't rocket
science.

Btw, some of the cl-lib facilities should not be used in new code if
they have equivalent implementations ins seq.el (which is nowadays
preloaded) and in map.el.  cl-generic.el is also preloaded, so should
be used in preference to the cl-lib alternatives.  And some frequently
needed cl-lib functions were moved to cl-preloaded.el, and are also
always available.