Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:12:18 -0400

  > How is cl-lib different from any other package that is extremely
  > likely to be loaded close to a beginning of a production session?

I think that is the crucial question -- it shows the deep difference.

Most packages do a specific kind of job and have just a few entry
points that relate to that job.  Consider sendmail.el, for instance.
It Has commands to initialize a message and to send it, and some
relating to editing one.  Most of the package is internals
that you wouldn't need to know about in order to _use_ sendmail.

CL makes a big contrast with that. It is mainly entry points.  And
many of these entry points try to be as multi-purpose as possible.

What are the implications of this?

If your package FROB wants to send an email, and it uses sendmail.el
to do that, that won't add much complexity to Emacs or FROB.  Using
sendmail.tl won't make FROB harder to maintain, because as a
maintainer of FROB there is only a little you need to know as a
consequnce of its use of sendmail.  Use of sendmail.el from the few
places that want to send an email just is not a problem.

This is why I'm concered with how many packages use CL, but not
concerned with how many use sendmail.el.