Re: Inline completion preview

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:55:47 +0100

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 1:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
 don't see any catastrophe in having features that can only work
> on GUI frames, although we should try to avoid that.  For example,
> popup menus and dialog boxes were not supported on TTY frames for 2
> decades, and we didn't consider that to be such a bad thing.

Because popup menus and dialog boxes aren't nearly as useful as
a completion popup.  Who even uses the mouse?

> So we
> could develop the feature discussed here on GUI, and then take the
> next 2 decades to find a way of doing that on TTY.

Ha.

Well, my opinion of fancy-shmancy GUI completion in other IDEs is that
they don't really add anything in terms of usablity.  Company-mode
looks pretty good to me when you look past the odd bug, and the only
difference between GUI and TUI versions is some fancy symbol characters
that could probably also be implemented in TUI.

Let's do this for both TUI and GUI emacs.  Then possibly upgrade
the fancyness on GUI Emacs.

João