Re: Inline completion preview

From: Eshel Yaron
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:53:23 +0200

> Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry, that might have not been clear enough, I wrote:
>>
>>     ISTM that the best approach is a simple library that uses only
>>     `completion-at-point` as a backend, because `completion-at-point` is
>>     already extensible enough to support a variety of completion
>>     backends.
>>
>> None of the aforementioned packages take that approach, so I wrote
>> `completion-preview.el` do demonstrate and test this approach.  As to
>> the question of adding this feature to core, since it's quite a simple
>> and useful addition, I just think it could be nice to have it OOTB.
>>

> Don't corfu do it already?

No, this is a somewhat different feature,

> From https://github.com/minad/corfu:
>
>     Corfu is a small package, which relies on the Emacs completion
>     facilities and concentrates on providing a polished completion UI.

Indeed `corfu` provides a completion UI, but not an inline completion preview.
`corfu`'s completion UI replaces the *Completions* buffer for
in-buffer completions.  Completion preview is something related but
independent from the completion UI.  Namely a suggestion for a single
completion candidate that automatically shows up after point as you
type.  It appears inline, as if you've already inserted that candidate,
in that sense it gives you a preview for the completion operation.

The package `corfu-candidate-overlay` is another project that does
provide completion preview and builds on top of `corfu` instead of
`completion-at-point` directly.