Re: Inline completion preview

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:43:21 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> On 30/10/2023 14:42, Alexander Adolf wrote:
>>> Also company works on TTY Emacs out of the box, and I think Corfu
>>> doesn't.  More stuff to add in.
>> Corfu works with TTY Emacs of of the box, too.
>
> Are you sure you don't have corfu-terminal installed?
> [...]

Quoting from the corfu readme [1]:
---------------------------- Begin Quote -----------------------------
NOTE: Corfu uses child frames to show the popup and falls back to the
default setting of the completion-in-region-function on non-graphical
displays. If you want to use Corfu in the terminal, install the package
corfu-terminal, which provides an alternative overlay-based display.
----------------------------- End Quote ------------------------------

Thus, there is a fallback behaviour of corfu on TTYs, and you ar enot
loosing any completion _semantics_ in such a case.

If you want a similar "eye candy" on a TTY, then one would have to use
corfu-terminal as you point out.

[1] https://github.com/minad/corfu/blob/main/README.org

Looking at the "Alternatives" section in [1] may also be informative.

>> [...]
>> Result with company:
>>
>>         The quick brown fox jum
>>                                +-------------+
>>                                | candidate 1 |
>>         * BIG FONT HEADING      | CANDIDATE 2    |
>>           BIG FONT HEADING      | CANDIDATE 2    |
>>                                | candidate 3 |
>>                                | candidate 4 |
>> [...]
>
> You can try out this branch:
> https://github.com/company-mode/company-mode/pull/1394
> [...]

Or you could adopt the child frame technique from corfu to avoid the
problem occurring in the first place?

Cheers,

  --alexander