Re: prior work on non-backtracking regex engine?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: prior work on non-backtracking regex engine?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:23:42 +0000

Danny McClanahan <dmcc2@hypnicjerk.ai> writes:

> (4) What is the best way to package third-party code for emacs?
>
> I was thinking of architecting this regex engine as a third-party
> codebase exposing a C ABI shared library, which the emacs build system
> could detect as an optional dependency (like libjansson). I was hoping
> to use rust to implement this regex engine, but I know that a cargo
> package alone isn't enough for non-rust code to depend on: I was also
> planning to maintain package recipes for this regex engine for
> multiple linux distros, so that emacs could easily add it to the build
> system (like librsvg). Are there any further constraints I should know
> about for optional dependencies in the emacs build system?

AFAIR, previous discussions raised some concerns about using Rust in
particular:
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/E1pKAM0-0001Ss-W6@fencepost.gnu.org/
Because of Rust volatility and some license issues.

That said, the linked discussion was not about linking to rust libraries
via C ABI, but about contributing Rust code to Emacs core directly.

Another somewhat relevant discussion is
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/95980ffc-86e7-ad54-4a20-539d8c6ea5d0@mailo.com/

P.S. Better regexp engine would be very welcome.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,