emacs-emba

Re: EMBA Ansible script and socket directory - changes and breaks today

From: Toon Claes
Subject: Re: EMBA Ansible script and socket directory - changes and breaks today
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:13:12 +0100

Cc'ing emacs-emba@gnu.org now. Although I'm not sure yet it's working.

> The second runner is set up, so here's a few important items:

Thanks! Nice!

> * I added registration notes because it's not obvious there is a
>   registration token and then you get a runner token.

Yeah, I also have to look it up every time.

> * there is now a second EMBA runner, located on the machine emba-runner
>   (2 CPUs). We should consider stopping the runner on the main EMBA
>   machine for security and because it's not a big machine.

Agreed.

> * the new runner couldn't work with --network=host, it kept picking IPv6. I
>   didn't have time to investigate further so I took that flag off the
>   service. I left the flag on the main EMBA runner through
>   runner-vars.yml

I'm totally not familiar with that. Sorry about that. But it seems all
good now, sort of?

> * the Docker daemon is now specifically bound to the IPv4 address of the
>   machine (on both main EMBA and the runner).
>
> * since /etc/default/docker was unused I removed it from the Ansible
>   code and from the machines
>
> * I added a cron job to prune dangling docker images

Cool, and not cool it's needed.

> * all my work is in the emba-ansible repo
> git@gitlab.com:emacs-ci/emba-ansible.git

Thanks.

> * the 2 runners are registered to the group "emacs"
>
> * I put my emacs-tzz fork of the emacs repo in that group and it can use
>   the same runners as the main repo

Is it your personal fork, or is it okay if we all use that? I've
suggested elsewhere also to have a fork on EMBA for tinkering with CI. I
think we can work with Merge Requests on that fork (without ever
mergind), but that should simplify discussion on changes. WDYT?

> * most importantly, anyone (Fermin, Toon, others) that puts their forked
>   repo in the "emacs" group on EMBA can push changes to that repo and
>   trigger a build against it without requiring a branch on the main
>   emacs.git. So that will let us experiment locally without making noise
>   on emacs.git branches.
>
> Now we should be able to work on .gitlab-ci.yml :)

Nice!

--
Toon

[1] https://gitlab.com/emacs-ci/emacs