emacs-erc

Re: bug#48598: 28.0.50; buffer-naming collisions involving bouncers in E

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#48598: 28.0.50; buffer-naming collisions involving bouncers in ERC
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 06:18:48 -0700

Hi,

Just a quick update this time (#3).

The download URL for this bug's patches has moved [1], along with their
path in the repo [2].

Not sure how likely it is these changes will be reviewed anytime soon,
but I'm hoping a bit of feedback from folks in the field might up their
prospects. So I've taken to asking anyone affected by this bug to help
out, with no takers just yet [3].

Rather than face the unvarnished truth of my personality/code being to
blame, I've instead decided to lay it all at the feet of modern man and
his general aversion to building Emacs. And so, in an attempt to hack
around this resistance, I've added a package.el-compatible endpoint to
host the latest snapshots.

As with *ELPA, you'd do something like:

  (require 'package)

  (push '("erc-jp" . "https://jpneverwas.gitlab.io/erc-tools/archive/";)
        package-archives)

And then:

  M-x list-packages RET

Find the bottom-most entry for this bug, which should look like:

  erc  48598.20210624.5  available  An Emacs Internet Relay Chat client

And hit [Install] in the popup. For updated usage, see:

  (info "(erc) Connecting")

Hopefully, this should make for easier test driving. Thanks!

Notes
~~~~~

[1] https://jpneverwas.gitlab.io/erc-tools/48598/patches.tar.gz

[2]
https://gitlab.com/jpneverwas/erc-tools/-/tree/master/resources/trunk/48598/wip

[3] Actually, a few parties *were* willing but were on 27, which these
    patches can't be applied to. However, 27 should run the patched
    library as a drop-in replacement (and the tests as well, with the
    addition of a small shim I'd be happy to provide).