emacs-erc

Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#51753: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 02:36:40 -0800

>> However, if people want something different to happen when
>> automatically reconnecting, we'd probably have to remember whether
>> `erc-server-reconnect-count' was ever positive before crossing the
>> logical connection threshold for the current session.
>>
>> This may come down to having `erc-connection-established' record the
>> count prior to resetting it (perhaps in a new, internal variable). And
>> then, during re-JOINs, `erc-setup-buffer' could weigh that recorded
>> value against some new option, like an `erc-display-reconnect' (or
>> whatever), and proceed accordingly.
>
> Sounds good to me.

I wasn't sure if that meant I was supposed to work on this. If not,
please disregard.

Otherwise, the tests are in #48598 [1]. As for the name of the option
itself, I basically punted by going with `erc-reconnect-buffer' to try
and stay close to `erc-join-buffer'. If that doesn't matter, perhaps
`erc-reconnect-display' would be a better fit since we already have an
`erc-query-display' (even though that one's not as closely related).
Anyone with an opinion, please advise. Thanks.

[1] Around line 4736:

https://gitlab.com/jpneverwas/erc-tools/-/raw/master/bugs/48598/patches/wip/0013-Update-ERC-scenarios-with-session-centric-naming.patch

    Or browsable (JS):

https://gitlab.com/jpneverwas/erc-v3/-/blob/1333bda3c0d11ff06b1b2acbb27864c90d5ba303/test/erc-scenarios.el#L1668