emacs-erc

Re: erc-element.el

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: erc-element.el
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:54:30 +0100

J.P. wrote:

> Perhaps that was confusing. What I meant was: given that the
> behavior of these user-facing command has become so
> ingrained after all these years, under what circumstances
> would changing it be justified?

Well, the question is "will this improve the software?" If the
answer is yes, details are often easy to sort out ...

> If we were only concerned with the "unresponsive at prompt"
> issue affecting `erc-button-previous', I'd say it's worth
> considering a "fix." But with the changes in behavior
> (visiting prompt and cycling), I think we'd more than likely
> want to introduce completely new variants.

I think integrating them would be better, one would then just
add one line to the docstrings saying that for interactive
use, cycling is in effect both ways and the prompt is visited
as well as buttons.

Different behavior for interactive and non-interactive use is
common all over Emacs as you know ... and users used to GUIs
will be familiar to the concept of tabbing around
interactive elements. And I'm used to that in text-only Emacs
as well, with a couple of fixes of my own, like this one but
also for example

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/moggle.el

It is both faster, more powerful and more intuitive IMO.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal