emacs-erc

Re: bug#48598: 28.0.50; buffer-naming collisions involving bouncers in E

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#48598: 28.0.50; buffer-naming collisions involving bouncers in ERC
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:28:06 -0700

> In test/infra/gitlab-ci.yml there is the comment
>
>     # TODO: with make -j4 several of the tests were failing, for
>     # example shadowfile-tests, but passed without it.
>
> I've never investigated what's up.

Appreciate your highlighting this comment. I agree that it deserves
attention. But without having (yet) observed what it describes, I can't
see how it could be related to the "jobserver unavailable" warning I'm
getting. That's because the latter's only visible effect seems to be
preventing parallel execution entirely, which makes it effectively
degrade any -j<NN> invocation to what we already have in the existing
command line (the one just below that comment in .job-template:script):

  make -j4 && make ${make_params}

(BTW, the warning doesn't seem to have any bearing on the exit code.)

>> FWIW, the course of action prescribed by the info node "(make) Error
>> Messages", namely, prepending a "+", seems to remedy the problem.
>
> [...]
>
> If this fixes the problem, pls push the patch. And change the files
> under test/infra/ accordingly, please.

Thanks, I'd be happy to do that.

Although, in light of my observations above, if you think it might make
more sense to solicit additional insights (possibly relating the two), I
could open a new bug instead. Alternatively (or in addition to that), I
could run a few pipelines with the flag set to -j4 for various targets,
perhaps with and without this patch applied, just to refresh and maybe
revise our current understanding. (Just a thought.)