emacs-erc

Re: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other bac

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 21:00:22 -0800

Hi Michael,

> I'm not familiar with the auth-source-pass.el implementation, so I
> cannot speak too much about your patch. Reading it roughly, I haven't
> found serious flaws, 'tho.

Thanks for taking a look!

> However :-)
>
> +(defcustom auth-source-pass-standard-search nil
> +  "Whether to use more standardized search behavior.
> +When nil, the password-store backend works like it always has and
> +considers at most one `:user' search parameter and returns at
> +most one result.  With t, it tries to more faithfully mimic other
> +auth-source backends."
> +  :version "29.1"
> +  :type 'boolean)
>
> - The name of this user option as well as its docstring are focussed on
>   the current behavior. People won't know what "mimic other auth-source
>   backends" would mean. Please describe the effect w/o that comparison,
>   and pls give it a name based on its effect, and not "...-standard-search".

I've changed the name to `auth-source-pass-extra-query-keywords' and
updated the description to something hopefully more adequate.

> - I'm missing the documentation in doc/misc/auth.texi and etc/NEWS.

Added.

BTW, I was initially thinking it'd be better to wait for a more
comprehensive and maintainable solution, like something based around a
larger set of common functions to be shared among the various back ends
(hence the [POC] qualifier on my patches). However, I suppose such a
thing could be done later, once the desired behavior is all dialed in
(perhaps alongside addressing support for full CRUD operations, which
are still missing, AFIAK). Anyway, I really don't know enough about pass
or auth-source to commit to such an endeavor. But I've reached out to
some folks who may be able to lend a hand.

Thanks,
J.P.