emacs-erc

Re: ERC doc fixes for Emacs 29

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ERC doc fixes for Emacs 29
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:35:07 +0200

> From: "J.P." <jp@neverwas.me>
> Cc: Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  larsi@gnus.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 06:53:16 -0800
>
> Hi people (Amin, Emacs maintainers, all),
>
> Pardon the intrusion. I know these are busy times.
>
> I was hoping it'd be possible to move a lengthy passage in the ERC
> manual, namely, the main auth-source description [1], to its own
> subsection in the Integrations chapter. It currently resides in the
> Password section of the sprawling Advanced Connecting chapter but feels
> rather out of place if not stifling (which, of course, is my own doing).
> Basically, it covers all things auth-source in ERC rather than just what
> pertains to the entry-point `:password' parameter, and I'm worried users
> mainly wanting a quick overview of the latter will groan upon seeing it.
>
> The second patch (also docs-only) just fixes a mistake in a recently
> added usage example. Both are low priority but substantive enough (IMO)
> to qualify per this admonition from CONTRIBUTE:
>
>   However, this rule is limited to fixing real problems in the
>   documentation; cleanups and stylistic changes are excluded.
>
> Of course, should anyone find themselves disagreeing, please say so, and
> I will abstain. Otherwise, please expect me to add something closely
> resembling these two changes in the next day or so.

If these are just internal reorganizations of the ERC manual and fixing of
mistakes, it is fine with me to install this on the release branch.

If you are asking me something else, please ask more specific questions.  (I
cannot say anything intelligent about the contents of the manual, as I don't
use ERC.)

Thanks.