emacs-erc

Re: bug#59976: ERC 5.4.1: erc-networks--id gets clobbered in erc server

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: bug#59976: ERC 5.4.1: erc-networks--id gets clobbered in erc server buffer on /query name conflict
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 23:45:52 +0500

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 23:24:55 +0500
Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@gmail.com> wrote:

> Come to think of it, I'd probably also add the most obvious effect of :id
> for naming the server buffer, i.e. something like this:
>
>   When present, ID should be an opaque object for identifying the connection
>   unequivocally, and will correspond to name of the created erc server buffer
>   after connection. ...
>
> Can probably be phrased better, but since main effect of "(erc ...)" command
> is
> creating that server buffer, what it will be named seem to be an important
> detail
> (if only for finding it afterwards).

In fact, I think allowing for naming server buffers how you want them
to be named with one easy and reasonably-obvious option should probably
be most prominent thing about it:

  https://e.var.nz/scr-20221215233955.jpg

(example of using :id for all networks, in contrast to earlier
inconsistent not-entirely-local naming)

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net