emacs-erc

Re: bug#60331: 29.0.60; ERC 5.4.1: ERC cannot join channels without the

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#60331: 29.0.60; ERC 5.4.1: ERC cannot join channels without the networks module
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 07:08:57 -0800

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Tags: patch
>
> This is in reference to
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2022-12/msg00651.html
>
> which affects query buffers as well as channels in what will become ERC
> 5.5 (both Emacs 29 and HEAD). To reproduce from emacs -Q:
>
>   (require 'erc)
>   (setq erc-modules (remq 'networks erc-modules)) ; or delq even (ahem)
>   (erc :server "127.0.0.1" :port 6667 :nick "tester")
>
> The attached patch tries to address this in a hopefully agreeable
> manner. Thanks.

This has been addressed in a slightly more responsible manner than that
originally proposed. In a pinch, third-party code can opt out of the
scary message by locally removing it from an internal hook during mode
or local-module setup (while ideally also alerting us to the need for a
public analog). If anyone takes issue with this approach or has a better
one in mind, please say so relatively soon. In the meantime, I'm closing
this bug report. Thanks.