emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a Unix citizen

From: M . ‘quintus’ Gülker
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs as a Unix citizen
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:20:39 +0100

Am Dienstag, dem 29. Dezember 2020 schrieb Protesilaos Stavrou:
> So my question is what helped you get past that initial phase?  Did you
> start from scratch and read the official manual?  Was the built-in
> tutorial helpful?  Perhaps you copied code from some other user or
> relied on a preconfigured setup?

For me, personally, the built-in tutorial was very helpful. What I
observe when I point others to Emacs is that more often than not, their
English knowledge is insufficient to comprehend the tutorial. Many
people here in Germany have some basic English knowledge stemming from
school times, but have not exercised it since then for years. For them,
learning Emacs would first involve learning (technical) English. While
Emacs' typical, technically well-grounded audience does not usually have
problems with English, this is not that common amongst the humanity
sciences. Thus, I think Emacs would profit from translations of the
tutorial directly shipped with it.

  -quintus

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu | PGP: Siehe Webseite