emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Displaying verse numbers within a verse block in Org

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Displaying verse numbers within a verse block in Org Mode
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 09:54:07 +0000

Hello all,

I would like to share here this little package that I wrote during my
translation of Homer's Odyssey into Spanish (work in progress). Many
times I need to know in which verse number I am, since citations in
Homeric poems are made by book/verse number (and each book has hundreds
of verses). So I wrote this code that helps me navigate through the
verses, displaying verse numbering in the margin (within a verse block
in Org Mode), which is not equal to line numbering, since verse
numbering does not take into account white spaces between stanzas.
Following the norm in this type of notations, the numbering sequence
defaults to 5, starting at the fifth verse (the first verse is never
numbered). But it can set any other sequence. It also allows you to jump
to a certain verse number.

Although not great, I think it works reasonably well so I share it
here in case it could be useful to someone; or in case someone wants to
improve it :-):

https://gitlab.com/maciaschain/org-verse-num

Best regards,

Juan Manuel