emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Has Emacs made you appreciate software freedom?

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Has Emacs made you appreciate software freedom?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 11:19:40 -0600

Thanks, Prot, for starting this discussion. I've been meaning to try to
participate on this excellent listserv, but up until now I've not managed too
(including a lack of an intro post). Please accept a long, rambling email as
back-payment ;)

> + Do you think that Emacs helped/helps you value your liberties, as
>   those apply to your day-to-day computer experience?

To a certain extent it's made me cognisant of my relative *lack* of liberties,
both in day-to-day computing and elsewhere. That's sad on the one hand,
perhaps, but it's made me try to take control over as much of my day-to-day
computer experience as possible (at the cost of time).

> + Do you believe that there is something to be learnt from Emacs and be
>   applied to other parts of life?  Could/should, for instance,
>   scientific research be conducted and publicised in a free,
>   collaborative fashion?

Most definitely. And occasionally we do even see good true "open access"
research venues. My field (linguistics), there are at least Glossa [1] and
Semantics & Pragmatics [2], and a fairly strong tradition of scholars posting
"pre-prints" in an accessible manner (on Lingbuzz [3], sort of like arXiv, but
specific to linguistics).

(But still in day-to-day academic life I'm quite literally forced to use a lot
of software I find morally- (not to mention technologically-) questionable, and
pressure to use even more of the same.)

Back to the larger question, I think there is still a lot of "alchemical
practices" (in Doctorowian terms) in academia, perhaps loosely connected to the
publish-or-perish framework we exist in.

> + More generally, do you see a connection between software freedom and
>   politics/economics?  Could/should the lessons drawn from Emacs and
>   free software in general (especially copylefted) be used as an
>   antipode to repressive forces, be they corporate actors or state
>   entities?

 Yes, but it's hard to know how exactly to do so.

 To touch back on the linked articles, specifically "The Problem With Free
Software... ...Is Capitalism", even this article, which obviously isn't exactly
comfortable with capitalism, still seems to overrate its efficiencies ("...it
is true that we’ve seen an unprecedented boom under capitalism"). If your goal
is maximisation of paper clip production, or you really enjoy rolling fields of
maize whose monotony is largely only broken by highways and petrol stations:
then Capitalism's your man. That is, ever-increasing efficiency of production
of some particular product.  But otherwise capitalism seems largely parasitic
on innovations produced in non-capitalistic fashions (creations by
dilettante/independently-wealthy scientists; creations by artists/inventors
with wealthy patrons, or who are employed by academic institutions).

 I think here about the software that's most useful to me. As with the
non-utility of a room full of VC-funded paperclips, there is very little
commercial software (simply on technical grounds) that's actually useful to me.
Before Emacs, the software that opened my eyes to power of really free/libre
software, that was exponentially more powerful than any commercial offering,
was (La)TeX, which was, and remains, indispensable for my work. (And to a large
extent I started using Emacs as extensively as I did because it provided (&
continues to provide), via AUCTeX, the best TeX editing environment.)

 And both TeX and Emacs were developed by people who had the ability (at least
in part due to their affiliations with academic institutions) to make tools
appropriate for their own uses, without having to worry about commercial
viability. And luckily both the (La)TeX and Emacs ecosystems have had enough
contributors (of additional code) to make them viable.

 (The) Linux (kernel) is, I suppose, a different sort of case. It has the same
'dilettante'/'hobbyist' origins as TeX or Emacs, and also developed its own
hobbyist ecosystem, but the ubiquity of Linux across a wide range of hardware
does reflect in part corporate funding. But my main use case, desktop Linux, is
just a happy side-effect, since corporate funding doesn't care about desktop
Linux in the slightest. In this case, I feel we just shelter in an alcove
accidentally created by market forces.

 So, what does this suggest in practical terms? Don't be seduced by the
short-term efficiencies of capitalism: they're limited not only in time but in
scope, and are only really efficient in maximising share-holder revenue.

 Try to create spaces in which people are able to freely create and innovate,
and which thus are not tied directly to commercial interests.

 Ideally this is people just being independently wealthy, or having (largely)
benevolent 'patrons' (including universities). But in most cases, it's probably
actually just trying to figure out how to best co-ordinate the efforts that
unfunded hobbyists can carve out from their days, and how to cobble these
together into meaningful actions.

 It's hard to be too optimistic though, since both in software and
politics/economics it seems far too easy for such efforts to be easily
frustrated as soon as they run afoul of commercial interests.

[1] <https://www.glossa-journal.org/>
[2] <https://semprag.org/index.php/sp>
[3] <https://lingbuzz.net/>

best,
  —Ben

--
 '(Benjamin Slade ("he/him") ( https://lambda-y.net )
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))