emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Using Binder

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Using Binder
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 12:23:37 +0900

Paul's message yesterday got me interested in Binder.

I installed it, ran the tutorial and tried to run it on a writing project I
have. Here is my "pre-tutorial" to get things running:

1. M-x binder-mode
   → enables the mode

2. C-c : (binder-add-file)
   → triggers a prompt to add a file from the current directory
   → it would be nice to have it propose the current file by default

3. Repeat C-c' until you have added all the files you want

4. C-c ' (binder-toggle-sidebar)
   → the files appear in the sidebar and you can use them as described in the
tutorial

The .binder.el file that "binds" all that has the following structure:

(("myFile.txt"
  (notes . "its note")))

So it's pretty easy to pre-fill a project with already existing data.

All the binder-sidebar commands only work when in the sidebar. The
binder-sidebar-add-all-files is pretty convenient and it's too bad it won't
work from the file buffer on all the files in the working directory.

Et voilà !

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org