[Emacs-orgmode] The new bracket links

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] The new bracket links
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:00:38 +0200

Hi,

I am about to make the new bracket links [[link]] or [[link][description]] the default in the next versions of Org-mode. While I am at it, I want to clean up the linking system. If I do this, this means a slight incompatibility with current org files. While the old links (plain links, and links enclosed in angle brackets) in general will still work, there is one exception. Links that include a space character, like

    <file:somefile::find this text>

will stop to work and need to be converted into [[]] links to get them back. I will provide a function to convert all <> link into [[]] links, to make this transition easy.

I will also provide options to force Org-mode to continue using the old system for people who got attached to it. However, I am convinced that the new system is very much superior in almost every aspect.

This post is really about finding out if anyone feels strongly about this and can come up with a good reason why I should not make this transition.

Thanks.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik