[Emacs-orgmode] Re: XOXO output

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: XOXO output
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:38:10 +0200

On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:55, Nic wrote:

No... that's not quite what I've said. The reason that XOXO export is
good is because it's easy to transform later (say with XSLT but also
specialized SAX or SXML processes would work).

But I guess that transformation code would actually have to
be custom written and understand all of the properties of Org-mode
files.  So I am still wondering if it would be useful to have ev
erything that is Org-mode specific translated into something more
general.

This is the reason I haven't yet updated my XOXO exporter to output
other things.

XOXO is *just* an outline specification. So how should an XOXO output
handle org mode tables or schedules?

I think that XOXO output is really just part of what I want which is a
minimal output format. Markup centric it would not include any
formatting or extraneous information (as yours does now).

OK. I think that would be very useful indeed. I guess there are two ways forward with this.

- We try to modify the HTML output routine so that we can simply set a switch which output format it is going to be. I think that is going to be hard, because the switch would have to be tested in many many places.

- We copy the org-export-as-html routine and then modify it to remove all the extra formatting junk I have in there (which was born not out of desire to be abstract, but just out of the wish "I would like to look at this thing in a web browser..."). This would have the advantage that all the parsing and structure information is there for you to use, but we would still have an independent and possibly more compact routine.

So XOXO would be used for outline markup but straight tables would be
used for org mode tables and hCalendar would be used for dates and
times and things like that.

See http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page for more info.

I think what I'll do is take a look at your new exporter and see if I
can replicate what it does but with microformat markup instead of your
current markup.

Go right ahead.  Should I delay putting XOXO code into org.el then?

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam