Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Handling of inline images

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Handling of inline images
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 07:59:53 +0200

On Apr 30, 2006, at 22:28, David O'Toole wrote:

Currently if you do this:

[[file:path_to_image][Description]]

the description seems to be thrown away and there seems to be no way
to link to an image inline in one place, not inline in another place.

I'd like to propose that when inline-images is on for a document,

the following link:

file:path_to_image

result in inlining, whereas:

[[file:path_to_image][Description]]

not result in inlining, instead letting the text "Description" be a
plain text link to the image.

No, I don't think this is acceptable. Plain links are not different from bracketed links, and this difference should not be misused. What are you going to do if the path to the file name contains space characters? Then you always need the brackets around the link etc.

How about

  [[file:path_to_image]]

for an inline image and

  [[file:path_to_image][Description]]

for a linked image? This looks more consistent to me. Would this break anything else?

- Carsten

This way we could choose by the link type, whether the image is
inlined. The reason is, most of the time I want inline images, but
sometimes I want to post a large screenshot...

--
Dave O'Toole
address@hidden