[Emacs-orgmode] fancier and less fancy export

From: Scott Otterson
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] fancier and less fancy export
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 09:43:24 -0700

My biggest use of org-mode export is spitting out simple ASCII lists that I paste into emails. Even so, I have picky export enhancement requests:

1.) Add org-export-visible-as-ascii: org-export-copy-visible creates a new org file containing the visible text. The problem for me is that it's still an org-file, with all the leading *'s, linking text and so on. So, I'd like to clean it up by running org-export-as-ascii over the export-visible file but

- this is an extra step
- when I try to do this, I get the error message: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

2.) Export with simple leading characters instead of section numbers. Maybe there's already a way to do this, but I'd like to see an option for exporting headlines with leading '*' ,'o', '-'' and so on, instead of with long section numbers like 3.4.2.1. For html export, this could be just the standard itemized list characters; for ascii, it could be something similar. This could be done with a customization variable, a prefix, or very long commands like org-export-visible-as-ascii-simple...

Also, a general question: There's been discussion of adapting muse-mode so that org-mode can eventually make use of its many export capabilities. At that same time, we've got very interesting xoxo export capability and the nice new code written by David O'Toole. This is great stuff but to a new user, these multiple and somewhat overlapping choices are bound to be confusing. Will all this good code eventually get merged into a unified org-mode exporting system?

Thanks,

Scott