Re: [Emacs-orgmode] fancier and less fancy export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] fancier and less fancy export
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:03:26 +0200

On May 12, 2006, at 19:08, Scott Otterson wrote:

One thing I noticed, though, is that tables with the < > column width limitation are exported without the width being collapsed, like so:

| purpose | run | words |  EM | note       | options    |
|---------+-----+-------+-----+------------+------------+
| acfeat  |   0 |       | <3> | turns      |            |
| thresh  |   1 | NA    | 12  | turns      |  thrsh=10  |
| thresh  |  56 | x     | 0/0 improve | nolab/turns | thrsh=30   |

even if it was being displayed collapsed at the time of export (collapsed by hitting a tab in a cell somewhere, for example).

Nice to know that someone is using the narrow columns.

Yes, this is not yet correct, in particular on XEmacs. I think this does work on Emacs, because Emacs carries the invisibility properties correctly along and even respects them when printing. OK, it is on my list of things to fix.

Now that I think of it, it would be nice if table column widths were collapsed at the first entry of a .org file. Without that first TAB, my tables are unreadably mangled. On the other hand, I suppose that seing them uncollapsed at first, is a good reminder of the content that will be hidden after the first TAB.

either globally in .emacs

    (setq org-startup-align-all-tables t)

or in the file itself

   #+STARTUP: align

This is also covered in the manual, at the end of section 3.2. In large org-files with many tables, this may cause a noticeable delay when visiting an org-file because all tables are re-aligned. I guess I could limit this to only tables with a <N> cookie, then it could be a bit faster.

- Carsten