Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Some suggestions - mostly for non (X)Emacs updating

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Some suggestions - mostly for non (X)Emacs updating of org mode files.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:51:18 +0200

Tim, there were a few things in your email which I previously overlooked, sorry.

With regards to file linking a BUG report: w32-shell-execute needs to
be mswindows-shell-execute in org-file-apps-defaults-windowsnt for
XEmacs 21.4.19

Does anyone know what the systematics on this are? Which Emacs versions use which nomenclature?

That implementation of links does not allow me to link to an external
file for editing. Say i have a to <file:~/.bashrc> it tries to find a
mime type and execute a program for it, which then fails. How about an
<edit:> link, to just open the file directly? Or if the mime operation
fails, just default to opening the file?

I don't think this is needed. For one, you can set up org-file-app for specific files to use Emacs. But more importantly, if you use mouse-3 to follow a file link, or equivalently if you follow the link with a prefix argument like `C-u C-c C-o' or `C-u RET' (the latter if you have turned on org-return-follows-link) then the file will always be opened in Emacs.

Maybe I need to make org-file-apps to accept regular expressions, not just extensions for identifying file types....

Also you probably want to perform an (expand-file-name) on local file
names under windows. As under win2k that will convert the relative
path to a usable windows one.

In what situation?  When following a file link?

Thanks

- Carsten