Re: Was: [Emacs-orgmode] Feedback on Scheduling? - How do you use yours?

From: Pete Phillips
Subject: Re: Was: [Emacs-orgmode] Feedback on Scheduling? - How do you use yours?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:41:22 +0100

[Once more - but to the list this time!  :-( ]

Tim O'Callaghan <address@hidden> wrote:

    Tim> Its also interesting that you use tags for GTD context. This is
    Tim> the way i use tags, and i have been wondering if anyone else
    Tim> used them like this.

I'm glad - I was in discussion with Carsten for a while regarding
org-mode, when he came up with this brilliant idea of tags - as soon as
he proposed it, I could see that it would fit into my GTD system
straight away (I moved from a Zaurus list manager to org-mode+hipster
last August, but have been using GTD since the original hardback book
came out).

    Tim> An interesting idea, one that i was kicking about for a bit
    Tim> when i was using a hipster style PDA. I was thinking about
    Tim> generating XSLFO or SWF based templates, and merging the
    Tim> information into the XML template for printing. XSLFO is a
    Tim> pain, so i went for SWF, which is a pain but less so. SWF has
    Tim> the advantage of being scalable if designed properly, and
    Tim> supported by inkscape, which makes creating templates easy. I
    Tim> experimented with ImageMagick and an SWF based templates for
    Tim> automatic processing. I got an experimental SWF template from
    Tim> all things hipster: diyplanner.org. Unfortunately ImageMagick
    Tim> did not support SWF well enough for me to want to continue :(

Basically I used lyx to design the template and then exported it to
latex to see what I needed to add from the perl script. I have a bit of
experience with XML and XSL (our woundcare journal,
www.worldwidewounds.com, is prepared using docbook XML) but I have never
got to grips with the FO model.

    Tim> In the end i opted for a paperless system.

No good for me as I need something with me all the time. I find the PDA
too slow, and the HPDA fast and flexible. Combining my laptop org-mode
with HPDA has been terrific (for me - I readily acknowledge that this is
a game of horses for courses).

    Tim> I'd be interested to hear how other org users are implementing
    Tim> GTD. If for nothing else that to be able to cherry pick ideas
    Tim> that i can incorporate into my system.

Me also.

    Tim> My system is based around one big org mode file for personal
    Tim> stuff and one for work. I can edit the file in other editors
    Tim> (such as the one on my smartphone) and search for GTD context
    Tim> via tags. The symbol :TAGNAME: is unique enough to search on
    Tim> when i need context, and works to find tagged lines using every
    Tim> editor i know of.

Yep. By the way, you can also set up a shell script to mail your file to
a gmail account every night, so you have unlimited (well, almost)
backupand archive. I set up a special archive gmail account just for
this. with 2.?? Gb of space, I won't be running out of space soon.

    Tim> External editors do not support the org mode 'file:'
    Tim> references, so i am strict about keeping only Next Actions and
    Tim> possible Next Actions in the org file. I keep reference
    Tim> material in a another appropriately named file in the same
    Tim> directory.

I keep the lot in one big file. That's the advantage of using outline
mode - you can collapse gobs of text into nothing just by pressing the
<TAB> key. Less to keep track of and remember, and makes the perl script
-> HPDA doable.

    Tim> I also make sure the context tags and the text of the item will
    Tim> inform me of the project they are related to. So I don't need
    Tim> the reference material unless referred to by the text of the
    Tim> Next Action, and then only because it does not fit in one line.

Yep - I need to make sure that the headline has enough info so that when
printed onto the HPDA I can understand/recall what it relates to.

Regards,
Pete

Tim.