Re: [Emacs-orgmode] configurable link export

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] configurable link export
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:01:56 -0400

> Anyway, I have been thinking about your argumentation and come to the
> conclusion that this is an issue I would like to push almost entirely
> onto Davids table.  David, are you listening? :-)

Yes :-)

> way,  would be that the structure and content of
> org-publish-project-alist is used to fully automatically determine the
> validity of a link.  not trivial to implement, but possible and a nice
> challenge.

I have been thinking about inter-file links in preparation for
implementing some of the more advanced features for org-publish (page
rewriting, sitemap generation, etc) and I think this will be very
simple to straighten out.

All we need is for people to specify a property called :link-base that
is the prefix for a URL. For example, if :publishing-directory is
"/ssh:address@hidden:~/public_html/images", the user should probably set
the :link-base to "/images" or "http://foosite.org/images";

Given this one extra piece of information, then it is a simple matter
for the :link-transform function to actually generate proper URLs
(instead of simply validating them.) This would free projects from the
requirement that the web server must have the exact same directory
layout as your local project files.

This would allow, as you say, for link targets to be validated and
transformed automatically, given just the structure and contents of
org-publish-project-alist.

I will work on this and let you know how it goes.

Austin--- how does this sound?