Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Org-mode 4.40

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Org-mode 4.40
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:32:39 +0200

Hi Raman,

On Jun 29, 2006, at 5:20, T. V. Raman wrote:

One somewhat hard to track down bug is the behavior of insertion
of bullets.

[...]

I start a bulleted list by hitting "  -"
at the front of a line, type some text, and press C-j. 9 times
out of 10, I get a new bullet which is what I want.
But sometimes (and I dont know yet when/ under what
circumstances) I get a section heading.

I can reproduce this behavior if I forget to type the space
character after the minus bullet.  Bullets need to be followed
by a space.  This is unfortunately not yet fully enforced, for
example the export functions treated (until 5 minutes ago) a line
as a bullet even if there is no space, but this was a bug.
Items must have a space after the bullet.

Also, and this might be related --
I often want to move the newly inserted bullet in a level to
create a nested list --- and that sometimes works using the magic
meta-arrow key --- but more often than not fails.

You need M-S-<right> for this, not M-<right>.  I did implement this
only on M-S-right to show that for bullets it is always the entrire
bullet subtree that is being moved, never only the current entry
without its children.  Hmmm, maybe I chould make this more consistent
at some point.  Another problem is that the command only changes the
indentation by one - you often want to use it at lease twice, and in
numbered lists likely even three times to get the desired effect.
I am not happy about this myself, but have not come up with
a good solution yet.

But mayby you are using M-S-<right> an still get the bug?  If this is
the case, then hopefully you can come up with an example that is
reproducable.

Thanks

- Carsten

--