Re: [Orgmode] another (different) template request

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] another (different) template request
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 01:08:10 +0100

Austin Frank <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't yet investigated the templating options mentioned here
> (though dmacro sounds like it's got potential).  Still, I wonder if a)
> the feature already exists, or b) other people would be interested in
> seeing it included in a future version of Org.

I think templates are too much based on the way one works.  I can't
imagine one template turning out to be the default template for Org,
since the "default template" is just a scratch buffer.

For example, i've been using the one-project-per-file setup you've
described for a while.  It first matches my taste for playing with
options that made each file aware of the context in which i was using
it.  But after some time i (somewhat sadly) discovered my taste didn't
match my actual needs and switch back to the one-single-big-file
setup, since it does constrain a very sober (and hopefully more
efficient) use of metadata and options.  But of course this is my
story, and everyone uses Org for different needs, with different
tastes.

I can see one constructive way of providing templates for org-mode: to
post them on a dedicated page of the emacswiki, along with discussions
on how/why to use them, or how a template matches a specific use.  And
maybe the further step would be to provide a package with all the
templates.

Best,

--
Bastien