Re: [Orgmode] org-mode & multiple TODO sequences within a file.

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode & multiple TODO sequences within a file.
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:11:40 +0100

Hi Rick,

On Mar 15, 2007, at 17:45, Rick Moynihan wrote:

Hi,

I've been using org-mode happily for nearly 6 months and think it's a fantastic tool!! I've always quite liked Emacs, but org-mode has led to me really seeing Emacs's potential.

I was however wondering if there was anyway for org-mode to support multiple TODO sequences within a single file. I tried specifying sections of the file as operating under particular sequences, but this doesn't seem to work (in 4.52) e.g.:

#+SEQ_TODO: REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED

* BUG there is a bug in foo...
* RESOLVED fixed bug.

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE

No, this does not work.  Could be done, of course, but adds complexity,
and I am sure once it is there,  people will want to switch
TODO keywords constantly, filling the entire file with new #+TODO
statements.  Does not feel right.

How about the following alternative:

Just make a long sequence containing all the subsequences,
like

#+SEQ_TODO: REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED TODO WAITING VERIFY DONE

You can then use command like `M-5 C-c C-t'
(or `5 t' in the agenda) to jump to
TODO in this sequence.  Basically, you need to remember where
in your list the different sequences start, put items onto
the right starting point, and then work through your states.

Hmmm, looking at this it might actually be useful to
allow additional DONE states in the middle of the sequence, but
this will at least currently lead to problems, both when cycling
from DONE to nothing to TODO, and also in the highlighting
of TODO keywords in the agenda.  I'll check if I can fix these
small issues.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik