Re: [Orgmode] Re: Smarter indent with C-j

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Smarter indent with C-j
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:40:44 +0100

I now find some time to think about Eddward's questions and I just
realized all those questions have little to do with what C-j should
do.

My proposed change is in common with some other outliners such as this
one: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/pro/

Any comments?

On 2007-03-22, Eddward DeVilla said:

>> I just noticed one minor issue for check boxes. As in org 4.69:
>>
>>    - [ ] Check box 1<--- C-j
>>      |<--- cursor moved here
>>
>> I think the following is more elegant:
>>    - [ ] Check box 1<--- C-j
>>          |<--- cursor moved here
>>
>> What do people think?
>
> I tend to use the top behavior, but I do kind of the look of the
> second one.  How would you handle subcheck boxes?
>
>   - [ ] list 1
>         - [ ] list 1.1
> or
>
>   - [ ] list 1
>     - [ ] list 1.1

This is not related to C-j, which stays in the same list entry or
heading.

> Now that I think of it, this could be a little hairy for me.  Right
>now the behavior is
> uniform.  Always a 2 char indent (but I could live with a uniform 4 or 6
> char).  But
> sometimes I do the following
>
>   - [/] list 1
>     - [ ] list 1.1
>
> The size of the [/] token can vary.  I think I'd still like it to be treated
> like a box
> in this case.  I guess I'd like it to indent the number of character as a
> checkbox
> line.

Again, not related to what C-j does.

> Also, how would you handle numbered lists where the indent would
>also change for lists
> with 10 or more items.
>
>    1) [ ] foo1
>           bar1
>    2) [ ] foo2
>           bar2
>    10) [ ] foo10
>            bar10

Again not related. C-j is about aligning text.

Best,