Re: [Orgmode] What does C-c C-r do?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] What does C-c C-r do?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:00:20 +0200

On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:51, Leo wrote:

Dear all,

I still haven't figured out what `C-c C-r' does. Can someone give me
an example to see the effect of C-c C-r? Thanks in advance.

1. Set all context variables to nil:

(setq org-show-hierarchy-above nil
      org-show-following-heading nil
      org-show-siblings nil)

2. Use a simple hierarchy, with (for example) TODO entries, like this.

* main 1
** sub
*** sub 1-1
*** sub 1-2
*** TODO sub 1-3
*** sub 1-4
**** deeper
*** sub 1-5

3. Display the TODO sparse tree with C-c C-v.

4. Move the cursor into the TODO line and observe the effects
of C-c C-r and C-u C-c C-r.

C-c C-r is there to show more context around an exposed location,
to "repair" the tree.

Basically, C-c C-r will show the sibling following the TODO match,
so that you can easily edit the TODO subtree and know exactly
where it ends.

C-u C-c C-r will "repair" the tree to a state which you could also
have gotten using visibility cycling: Start at OVERVIEW visibility,
and then press TAB at "main" and then TAB at "sub".

Hope this make it clearer.

- Carsten

,----[ (info "(org)Visibility cycling") ]
| `C-c C-r'
|      Reveal context around point, showing the current entry, the
|      following heading and the hierarchy above.  Useful for working
|      near a location exposed by a sparse tree command (*note Sparse
|      trees::) or an agenda command (*note Agenda commands::).  With
|      prefix arg show, on each level, all sibling headings.
`----

Regards,