[Orgmode] minor niggles concerning tables

From: William Henney
Subject: [Orgmode] minor niggles concerning tables
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:05:07 -0500

Hi Carsten

Every time I use org's tables I am amazed at how powerful and easy
they are. There are just a couple of annoyances that I repeatedly come
across, and which I thought I'd better report.

* minor niggles concerning tables
** org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays
  This is great, but it is less useful than it might be because it
  uses the notation A1, B2, etc, whereas the canonical notation (as
  used by org-table-eval-formula and in the TBLFM line) is @1$1,
  @1$2. This introduces quite a cognitive load in translating between
  the two, especially since one is row-major while the other is
  column-major.
** numbers like "1.e3"
  I am in the (lazy) habit of omitting the zero after the decimal
  point in scientific notation. This causes no problems in most
  programming languages, or for calc.el, but it is misinterpreted in
  table formulae. Is it possible to easily fix this?

Cheers

Will

--

 Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
 Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia