Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:06:01 -0600

On 6/22/07, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

What I find a bit strange though is that it is using a hierarchy,
and every level of the hierarchy has the same columns.  Columns
seem to make more sense for items with equal level, at least to me.

I think it's harder to design an interface where different levels have
different columns.

Sometimes the columns will make sense on different levels so they opt
to leave them there. Also, as we see in the screenshot, they can be
used for summaries of almost anything that can be summed.

A simple example where columns apply to different levels, other than
summaries, is this:

* Saturday Projects                    (In charge)
** TODO Clean yard                   Bobby
*** TODO Rake                          Sue
*** TODO Mow lawn                   John

One thing I forgot to mention that I like about organizing information
in trees with columns instead of tables is the flexibility in storing
notes.

* People                (Phone Number)
** Family
*** Ben                 123-123-1234                                   :soccer:
   I can have information about Ben down here under his name
   that isn't necessarily organized in a structured manner. This could
   be notes or brainstorming or other things.
   - I can paste content from elsewhere here and mostly retain formatting
   - it can have newlines
   - it won't be visible in a summary
   - I can use bulleted lists
   - I don't have to type Family every time I add an entry
   - I can cycle visibility
** Friends
*** John                123-123-1235
** Work                                 (Employee #)
*** Steve                               1

An equivalent table would look like:

|----------+-------+--------------+------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Family   | Ben   | 123-123-1234 |            | I have to create a
separate column here for notes, and it won't let me have new lines |
| Friends  | John  | 123-123-1235 |            |

| Work     | Steve |              |          4321 |

If org ever gets columns, I would hope that they could be defined on a
level smaller than for the entire file.

I guess I've shown that it is possible to do basic columns right now,
it just involves a lot of M-i and isn't very pretty. I can only
imagine how much work a real columns implementation would take.

Cheers,
Scott