Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:35:52 -0500

On 6/22/07, Scott Jaderholm <address@hidden> wrote:
I think it's harder to design an interface where different levels have
different columns.

Sometimes the columns will make sense on different levels so they opt
to leave them there. Also, as we see in the screenshot, they can be
used for summaries of almost anything that can be summed.

A simple example where columns apply to different levels, other than
summaries, is this:

* Saturday Projects                    (In charge)
** TODO Clean yard                   Bobby
*** TODO Rake                          Sue
*** TODO Mow lawn                   John

Seems to me that columns, here, are just a summary of things that are
attached (or that you wished were attached) to the heading with
alignment thrown in.  It sort of seems to me what the agenda buffer is
for.  Maybe it an agenda query with the ability to 'unfold' the
heading in place in the agenda buffer.

One thing I forgot to mention that I like about organizing information
in trees with columns instead of tables is the flexibility in storing
notes.

I know on more than one occasion I've wanted to be able to fold a
sub-section of a table.  Just to be able to put a '-' in front of the
portions of the table I'd like to group and be able to fold and still
keep it one table.  That's not quite what you are asking for here, but
I think it could be made related.  I'm not sure how to implement a
hierarchy in a visually pleasing way.

I think the idea of having an org-table with foldable inline notes
would be useful too.  Say if the line (or lines) following a table row
starts with a '!' (or some other character, I was thinking ':' but
that already has a meaning) then it is a note attached to that row.
You could have a binding to toggle the visibility for a row or for the
table.  I don't know what key to use since tab already has a good use
in tables.

Also, there the question of whether the prefix character is desirable
since it would get in the way of using lists and headings as notes for
the row.  We could just say we don't do that, but it could be nice if
it were allowed.  I don't know how you would be able to tell one table
from the next though.

Maybe we say that if the first character of a heading is a '|' it is
part of a heading-table?  Again, I don't know how to make it look nice
or behave with todo keywords.

Edd