Re: [Orgmode] definition lists in org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] definition lists in org-mode
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:44:40 +0200

On Jul 6, 2007, at 0:01, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

What I'm after here is a short statement of the question, possibly a
short statement of the answer, and the details under it so I can hide
the detail with visibility cycling on plain lists.  I already kind of
do this, but it goes horribly wrong when every I try to use ESC-Q to
re-wrap the item.  Don't get me wrong, I'd use a plain definition list
too if it were there.  This is just the nit that triggered all this.

It it is only the wrapping, you could simply hack org-fill-paragraph, for
example like this:

(defun org-fill-paragraph (&optional justify)
  "Re-align a table, pass through to fill-paragraph if no table."
  (let ((table-p (org-at-table-p))
        (table.el-p (org-at-table.el-p)))
    (cond ((equal (char-after (point-at-bol)) ?*) t) ; skip headlines
          ((org-at-item-p) t)
          ((org-in-item-p)
           (save-excursion
             (save-restriction
               (org-beginning-of-item)
               (beginning-of-line 2)
               (narrow-to-region (point) (point-max))
               (fill-paragraph nil))))
          (table.el-p t)                             ; skip table.el tables
          (table-p (org-table-align) t)              ; align org-mode tables
          (t nil))))                                 ; call paragraph-fill

Our you could play with the variables paragraph-start, paragraph-separate,
and auto-fill-inhibit-regexp.

But I guess you are really after definition lists.  Muse uses

term :: definition

which is not a bad syntax, I guess.

- Carsten