Re: [Orgmode] [c]ompute property value ?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [c]ompute property value ?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:50:05 +0200

On Jul 15, 2007, at 3:11, Bastien wrote:

Hi Carsten,

by pressing the C-c C-c in front of :PROPERTIES:, i've been offered
these property actions:

  Property Action:  [s]et  [d]elete  [D]delete globally

(Should be "[D]elete", no?)

Definitely.

It might be useful here to be able to [c]ompute or [u]pdate the property value depending on its children, at least for values with a summary type
like {+}, {X} or {:}.

The problem is that the summary type is a property of the
column view format, not of the property itself.  So it
is not entirely obvious how and with what scope this command should be
interpreted - even though I think we should have it.

Another issue is that even though column view show the summary values,
they are not by default inserted into the properties list of the
parent node.  If the parent node does have the property, its value
is updated.  If it does not have it, the property will not
be added.  I thought this would be useful to avoid the property
drawer filling with stuff you might not want there.
So for the summing command you propose, we need to decide
how to handle this question.  Maybe with a prefix
argument, force the creation of the property in the parent
nodes?

- Carsten

Perhaps [C]ompute/[U]pdate globally (all properties) has also its place
here.

--
Bastien