Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and Gnus

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and Gnus
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:29:54 +0200

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:06:04 +0200
Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

 >> But doesn't this require for the article to be in the registry, still?

 b> Yes it does.

That means the registry would not solve my problem, really.

Sometimes I'll keep mails "task storage" for weeks, and also like to
refer to emails for archival purposes in some cases.

 b> Beyond this number I suppose it makes more sense to use the nnir.el
 b> interface.

It might make sense to have the chance to save searches as URLs in Org
for various things.

For the problem at hand it seems inelegant, though, as it is too reliant
on a rather complex and cpu hungry indexing system. I'd prefer things
leaner.

 b> Yet another solution would be to have an Org registry.

Yes. But there might be another solution, too.

Ultimately, the problem is caused by the Gnus backend not reporting
where it stored the article. So instead of doing a search every time one
tries to access the mail, one might do a search during storing time.

This could work by hooking a routine into

  gnus-summary-article-move-hook

that would record the message IDs of the articles moved into a temporary
list. After gnus-summary-move-article returns, the list is parsed for
the message IDs and the target group is searched for those IDs. The
resulting URLs are then saved into the Org link storage.

This would make up a "org-gnus-move-and-link-article" routine, which
could then be called directly or in the customisation that has been
posted to this list some time ago.

What do you think?

Regards,
Georg