Re: [Orgmode] postponing todos

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] postponing todos
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:56:23 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>> I would like to quickly (by using shortcuts) postpone a todo entry from
>> the agenda buffer by:
>>   - 1-2-3 day
>>   - coming monday/friday
>>   - next monday/friday
>>
>> What is possible with current org mode?
>
> I don't think so, and i'm not sure on how it could be implemented.
>
> Maybe a :WarningAtDay: property? Conceptually this requires that we're
> able to distinguish between postponing the date a todo is displayed on
> and postponing the todo itself (the day it's supposed to be done)...
> All this might be a bit confusing.

Trying to think further, i stumbled on this idea: what about having
something like an _AGENDA suffix for properties that would make the
agenda decide whether it should get the entry or not?

For example, here is a todo:

,----
| * Try to avoid stupid examples
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :WarningAtDay_AGENDA: <2007-11-11 dim>
|   :END:
`----

When getting entries for the agenda display, Org might an entry with
such a _AGENDA property. Then Org's job would be to check whether this
entry has to be included in the results or not. For doing so, it will
have to call a user-defined function like :

,----
| (defun org-agenda-get-entry:WarningAtDay (param)
|   [Returns t or nil depending on param]
|   ...)
`----

If the function returns t (e.g. if the function above says that today is
later than the value of WarningAtDay_AGENDA), then the todo is included.

This way each user could (easily) define its own rules for deciding what
entries should appear in the agenda display.

But enough speculation for tonight :)

--
Bastien