[Orgmode] Re: Integration of Org mode and mairix

From: Steven Lumos
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Integration of Org mode and mairix
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:48:20 -0700

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 0:54, Steven Lumos wrote:
>
>> I have not been following very closely, so sorry if this is redundant.
>> I currently use mairix through org-follow-mhe-link, although I had to
>> do a little hacking to make MH-E do a search by message-id.
>
> Interesting, maybe you would like to share your hack?

Well...  It's not really useful to add to org, and guaranteed to break
for anyone not using mairix for MH-E searching, but here it is.  The
only change is prefixing the message-id with m:.

(defun org-follow-mhe-link (folder article)
  "Follow an MHE link to FOLDER and ARTICLE.
If ARTICLE is nil FOLDER is shown.  If the configuration variable
`org-mhe-search-all-folders' is t and `mh-searcher' is pick,
ARTICLE is searched in all folders.  Indexed searches (swish++,
namazu, and others supported by MH-E) will always search in all
folders."
  (require 'mh-e)
  (require 'mh-search)
  (require 'mh-utils)
  (mh-find-path)
  (if (not article)
      (mh-visit-folder (mh-normalize-folder-name folder))
    (mh-search-choose)
    (if (equal mh-searcher 'pick)
        (progn
          (mh-search folder (list "--message-id" article))
          (when (and org-mhe-search-all-folders
                     (not (org-mhe-get-message-real-folder)))
            (kill-this-buffer)
            (mh-search "+" (list "--message-id" article))))
      (mh-search "+" (list (concat "m:" article)))
    (if (org-mhe-get-message-real-folder)
        (mh-show-msg 1)
      (kill-this-buffer)
      (error "Message not found")))))

>> It all works great for me, but I think it would be nice if following a
>> link didn't depend on what MUA or search I happen to use.  Couldn't it
>> easily enough be mail:...? Then I could send an Org file to a friend
>> and the link will Just Work for them.
>
> That would not work universally either, for example on a windows
> machine.
>
> - Carsten

I'm a non-Windows person, but in theory I think I could write a
program that would drive Outlook or whatever (even Google Desktop
Search?) through COM to bring up a message by message-id.

Likewise, you could probably snarf the message-id of the currently
displayed message from Outlook for org-store-outlook-link. :-)

Steve