Re: Re: [Orgmode] GPL3 (was: Org-mode version 5.05)

From: Giovanni Ridolfi
Subject: Re: Re: [Orgmode] GPL3 (was: Org-mode version 5.05)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:01:32 +0200

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 15:20, Leo wrote:
>
>>> I am releasing version 5.05 of Org-mode.  As usual, it is in the Emacs
>>> CVS trunk, and at my website
>>
>> Emacs CVS trunk is licensed to GPL3. However org is licensed
>> GPL2. Should we change to GPL3 also?

Well, org-mode , org-export-latex, org-mouse,  org-publish, org-card.tex
are licenced under "GPL2 or any later version" :

<from org.el>
;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.
;;
;; GNU Emacs is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

so, we can "use" org-mode also with GPL3.
However thank you, Leo,  for pointing this out.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 12:18:16PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> I have not really followed that discussion.  Do you have a good pointer
> for a discussion of the pros and cons?

RMS suggest to switch to "GPL3 or any later", because
GPL3 offers a wider protection for our freedoms.

Please, have a look at the site http://www.gnu.org and
search for "presentation of GPL3" or FAQ or something like that,
sorry if I can't provide a link.

Cheers,

Giovanni