[Orgmode] org-mode and outline: Signalling "at top level"

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: [Orgmode] org-mode and outline: Signalling "at top level"
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:28:00 -0700

So following the excellent article on GTD, I decided to start
using org for keeping my day planner.

I discovered an immediate irritant (only Emacspeak users will hit
this)--
when you create the agenda view  Emacs signals "Already at top "
multiple times.

This is not coming from org-mode, but from outline-up-heading ---
which has the unfortunate habit of raising a signal that is
caught elsewhere.

Emacspeak notices this because it has to provide speec/auditory
output on signal --- there are too many emacs packages that use
signal to indicate user-visible error conditions, e.g. VM at
end-of-folder.

For now, I defined an around advice on outline-up-heading to
silence the output in case of a signal, but I think it would be
useful for org-mode to protect itself from calling
outline-up-heading unnecessarily -- purely from a software hygene
point of view.

To observe the problem, try invoke org-agenda with
debug-on-signal set to T--
alternatively, just look at the messages buffer.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  address@hidden