[Orgmode] Re: log on state change

From: Leo
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: log on state change
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:56:54 +0100

On 2007-09-03 19:32 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> Yes, since 5.07, you can mis-use the TAGS interface to directly
>>> switch to TODO states.  Check the release notes.
>>
>> Is this temporary until a better solution is found?
>
> Not at all, I really cannot think of a better solution.
> The only thing preliminary about this would be the setup
> using Emacs Lisp.  I guess the in-buffer setup like
>
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t)....
>
> is nice and similar to TAGS, so that will stay.

Using tags to setup todo looks unclean to me. However it is very nice to
be able to set up todo using an interface similar to tags.

And since the argument to org-todo has become completely useless because
of this feature. I propose the following:

    C-c C-t (`org-todo') brings up an interface similar to the one for
    org-set-tags but only for todos (C-c C-c only for tags)

    C-u C-c C-t cycle through todo states i.e. the old behavior.

    make an user option to swap C-c C-t and C-u C-c C-t i.e. C-c C-t
    cycle through todo states

    automatically shortcut for todos:
     - if it is specified by user then use it
     - otherwise, use the first letter of the name of the todos
     - if the first letter has been taken, use the subsequent
       letter
     - continue until a unique letter is found

For example,

   When `C-c C-t', a buffer shows up:

   -*- buffer -*-

   => (T)odo (W)aiting (D)elegated
      (C)ancelled (M)aybe (D)one

   -*- buffer -*-

   'C-n' and 'C-p' can move to the next/previous todo state

   The arrow indicates the current state.

   Only shortcut in the row indicated by the 'arrow' is in effect thus
   allows (D)one to (D)elegated to co-exist.

Some of the points might be also helpful for tags.

HTH,
--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.