Re: [Orgmode] Moving an item to a precise place

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Moving an item to a precise place
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:59:21 +0200

On Sep 16, 2007, at 14:40, Bastien wrote:

Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> writes:

So let's say I have this organization:

* Project 1
** TODO Ask foo about bar

* Project 2
** TODO Write customer report

* Project 3

How can I move the TODO from "Project 1" to "Project 3" directly
-i.e. move by "name"

What about this?

1. Put the cursor at the beginning of the TODO you want to move
2. C-c C-x C-w to cut the subtree (leave the point on "Project 2")
3. C-c C-f to go to the next heading (same level)
4. C-n to go to the next line
5. C-y to yank the subtree

You can also use org-goto (C-c C-j) to navigate through the structure
easily if you need to paste the cut subtree far in the file.

I know there is org-move-item-(down/up) and subtree but I did not see
anything to tell an item to move a precise place (where the precise
place will be prompted).

I think it's better to rely on usual kill/yank procedures when the moves
are not hierarchy-dependant.

A really stupid solution is also to promote the entry to
top level with M-left, then to move it down with M-down,
then to demote it again with M-right.  For short distances
this requires the lease amount of thinking.....

- Carsten