[Orgmode] GTD: Solving the bottleneck of converting incoming mails to NE

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: [Orgmode] GTD: Solving the bottleneck of converting incoming mails to NEXT actions
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:44:44 +0200

Hi all,

I've now been using Org mode for a couple of months and am quite happy
with it in most ways, with conversion of incoming emails into NEXT
actions being the main bottleneck.

In my setup, I have two calendar files, one shared with FSFE through
SVN, one personal, which Org mode combines into my agenda. This works
very well.

Since I also work on various projects simultaneously, I have a couple of
agenda files in which I keep track of my projects and next actions.

Much of my work is obviously determined by email, so conversion of
incoming mail to next actions is very important. Based on

 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/1771

I'm using a simple function (see below) to put them all into an "Email"
agenda file as second level entries under "* Emails". This is obviously
ineffective, as I later have to sort those items into the other agenda
files and assign them to the right projects.

So what I *want* to be able to do is to create items with interactive
choice about:

 * Agenda file

 * Project to file under, with possibility of NONE (first level) -- or --
                          NEW (create new first level project, add this
                          email as NEXT action on second level)

 * An optional note/instruction. If supplied, the NEXT action should
   look as follows:

     NEXT <NOTE>
     <EMAIL>

   If not supplied, it should like like

    NEXT <EMAIL>

All of which would essentially be browsing a tree composed of agenda
files, projects, and sub-projects.

Since I know that various other people are using Org mode for GTD kind
of methodologies, as also discussed in

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/523

I wonder whether anyone solved this issue already.

All help and input appreciated.

Regards,
Georg

Georg C. F. Greve                                 <address@hidden>