Re: [Orgmode] GTD: Solving the bottleneck of converting incoming mails t

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] GTD: Solving the bottleneck of converting incoming mails to NEXT actions
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:05:33 +0200

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:52:44 +0200
Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

 b> You can also set `org-remember-default-headline'.  In your case,
 b> maybe "Emails" is a good choice:

 b> (setq org-remember-default-headline "Emails")

Yes, this seems useful.

 b> Then you have to make sure there is a headline containing "Emails"
 b> in your `org-default-notes-file' or in the file the template is
 b> pointing to.

What would happen if there were no such headline? Would it be created?

 >> (setq org-remember-templates
 >> '((?e "* NEXT %?\n  %i\n  %a" "Email" "Emails")))
 b>                                        ^^^^^

 b> I don't understand the first "Email" here.  The third argument
 b> should be a filename, as specified in org-remember-templates

Yes, it is a filename.

The file I've been using temporarily was

    "~/Tools/Org/Email"

when that did not work in the expression above, I tried to see whether I
should just put the file name, but it did not help. Sorry for not
providing that information before.

 b> So I would suggest this configuration:

I tried that.

When typing "C-c C-c" it asks for a filename to save into (instead of
saving into the default, as the menu claims) and when trying to specify
the existing file, I get

 "File `/home/greve/Tools/Org/Email' exists; overwrite? (y or n)"

which I declined as I don't want to lose that file.

If I do "C-c C-c" and give it "~/.notes" by hand (which should not have
been necessary in the first place) I get the following result for
.notes, regardless of its previous state:
## Filing location: Select interactively, default, or last used:
##     C-u C-c C-c  to select file and header location interactively.
##         C-c C-c  "~/.notes" -> "* "
## C-u C-u C-c C-c  "???" -> "* ???"
## To switch templates, use `M-x org-remember'.

* NEXT This is a test for an email
  [[mairix:m:address@hidden from Adam Spiers: Re: Orgmode GTD: Solving the]]
So it seems that remember/org is malfunctioning somehow.

All help appreciated.

Regards,
Georg

--