[Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org

From: Renzo Been
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:37:23 +0000 (UTC)

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> I must acknowledge that the boxquote stuff wrapping your e-mails always
> looked a bit weird to me.. I usually see this as a way to quote emails
> or code examples, not to encapsulate your own prose.

True, I was kind of misusing the boxquotes. I just liked the looks of them. For
e-mailing to friends that's oke, but on a mail-list like this one it looks a
bit confusing... Sorry for that.

> I don't see any way to make boxquotes works with the TOC anyway, since
> there would be too many complexity when displaying several levels at the
> same time.

Agreed

> But I like the idea of having some kind of margin, just as linum.el does
> for line numbers:
> http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225855/linum/linum.html

Yes, I had a look at linum, and it looks like a good mechanism that can be of
use in the TOC. If you could make such a margin, that would be great for the
TOC...

> What kind of information you would like to be displayed in this margin?
> (Remember there is org-toc-info already, so the margin and the echo-area
> should work in a complementary way.)

Maybe the margin could display how many sub-headings are below the heading that
shows in the TOC? Or how many lines of text there are folded inside it? Or the
number of TODO's that are below it?

Or maybe it's better to keep things simple. And put no extra information in the
margin? Just put two or three symbols (ones that do not conflict with org-mode)
there, to make the TOC display distinguishable from the base-buffer. You could
use a symbol from the utf-8 coding table. I've put some examples here:

http://swangdoodles.googlepages.com/Unicodes-for-org-toc.html

> I don't know "h-line"... did you mean "hl-line? I think the purpose of
> global-hl-line-mode is only to highlight the current line, not several
> lines.

Yes, I meant hl-line... I'm using it in my agenda-views. But your right, it
only works on one line.

> I tried to insert this at the end of a file:
>   # Local Variables:
>   # eval: (org-show-table-of-contents)
>   # End:

> but it requires M-x normal-mode, which I don't understand. Even by
> setting both `enable-local-variables' and `enable-local-eval' to t
> (which is not recommended!) ... any hint on this is welcome!

When I set in my .emacs:
 '(enable-local-eval t)
And at the bottom of the org-file:
 # Local Variables:
 # eval: (org-toc-show)
 # End:
What happens is that the TOC-buffer does open. But it is opened as a full view
buffer,
not as a split screen together with the org-file

What might also be handy is to limit the size of the TOC-buffer. Right now,
what happens when I'm in a large org-file, and use the TOC, is that it takes
over half the screen...

Ciao,
Renzo